Making something (almost) every day.

A few weeks ago I bought this book. (I had to have something to do once I’d finished the degree.) It’s been out a while, so long that there’s a new edition, but I didn’t realise that till after I’d bought this one…


I’m a sucker for this sort of book, but usually fall by the wayside pretty quickly – either the prompts are too soul searching, or too abstract, or they need lots of time, using complex techniques I can’t be bothered with.

This book is much more open ended: you choose your own techniques, and they can takes a much or as little time as you wish. The prompts (so far, I’m only up to day 23) are manageable – and even fun. Once or twice I’ve thought ‘that’s too much hassle’ – but then I’ve done it anyway – like making something that floats. First I thought ‘how am I going to make something airtight?’ – then I thought ‘what floats naturally?’ – which led to wood, wooden beads, and finally wooden buttons, of which I have rather a lot, having had a lot of tab top curtains at one time.

I haven’t done something every day – I’ve had other things to do, as I may have mentioned – but sometimes I’ve done two a day, so I’m more or less up to date.



Here’s a selection of my early efforts – just a selection, because some of them are too c%*p to be shown in public, especially when their author has a BA in Fine Art (possibly*).

You may notice a certain circularity to some of these. I didn’t start with a theme, although the book encourages you to, but it sort of developed.

I’ve tried to avoid doing the obvious – the thing I always do – if that makes sense. For example, I’ve tried not just to take photos of things. I’ve taken photos to keep a record of what I’ve done, as you can see, but I’ve tried not to let myself take the easy way out, which photography can be for me.. A couple of these are apped photos – the shells, and my breakfast,but those are all. The picture of the petrol cap is pretty much as it was taken. (I’m not saying I didn’t make lots of versions of the images I did app, mind you.)

What I’ve found exciting about the book is the way some of the prompts have led to further exploration. The red dots gave me ideas for red on red needlework – knitting or canvaswork – and the polystyrene print prompted lots of playing around – including, I admit, with apps.


And the floating thing led to this. I’d used about 2/3 of these buttons, but when Wensleydale saw it he suggested I could wear it, if it was bigger. So here’s the bigger version, using all the buttons, and strung on elastic. Crappy buttons becomes funky necklace. It means I’ll have to find some other buttons for dyeing\felting resists though…

*provisional result, awaiting confirmation.